Doing the Flintstones' running on the spot sound--

*Phew!* This has been a busy week, catching many arts events around town. I caught the penultimate day of an exhibit at AWOL gallery, called The Cookbook, by Vanessa Vaughan, an artist and graphic designer of many talents. I have contacted her asking permission to show one of her pieces called "Faith". Look at her stuff on her site. Fun stuff.

Then I heard the Choir of Trinity College Cambridge led by Stephen Layton give a short recital at Trinity Chapel with standard repertoire as well as eastern composers that were new to me. I Was Glad...

Things I saw that you can still catch are:

The Malcove Collection at UTAC is an astounding treasury of medieval art and artifacts bequeathed to the university. I can't believe I hadn't known about it before.

On until August 15, also at UTAC, is Kim Ondaatje's Paintings 1950-1975. She will be of interest to those who like Jack Chambers or Christopher Pratt.

At MOCCA is a pretty trippy exhibit entitled Damn Your Eyes: the infinite dimensions of sound. I wanted to get more into it, but someone decided it was a good place to let their kids run around......also on for the next couple of weeks.

When we went down to the Distillery to see the Octopus Project, we bumped into a friend, Ed Kotanen, who not only was exhibiting next to his studio, but who also told us about an upcoming production he has designed, Samuel Beckett's "The Old Tune". Directed by Malcolm Black, and starring Wayne Robson and Patrick Rose, this runs at the Factory Theatre Mainspace, 125 Bathurst St. @ Adelaide. Tickets are $12 via www.summerworks.ca /$10 at the door. Showtimes are Fri Aug 8 and Tues Aug 12 @6:30, Sun Aug 10 @12:30, Thurs Aug 14 @8:30 and Sun Aug 17 @4:30.

I also checked out a new (to me) used music and bookstore called Babel at 123 Ossington Ave just north of Queen (416 533 9138). My friend got excited about the records (even 45s!) and I can tell you this guy's collection is excellent--not the usual junk people have dumped. For example, the religion section had many standard classics of a theological library. It's also bright and well-organized, making it a pleasure to browse there. And those are just a few of the places I went since last posting!

I also want to bring to your attention an upcoming free Lunch Hour Opera by Opera Atelier's School of Atelier Ballet, presented in collaboration with the St. Lawrence Market. The Fairy Queen will be presented Friday August 1st from 12-1pm at St. Lawrence hall, Jarvis and King Sts. This is a masque of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream; more info is available at http://www.operaatelier.com/ or 416 703-3767 ex28.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But There IS Joel Kinnaman...

Lilith is Fair